Monday 21 May 2012

Character Ideas



I started my character designs by first looking at the word geek and everything that I associate with it. This led me to a variety of different characters that I narrowed down to The Ganker, The Warlock, The Red Shirt, The Dungeoneer, The Greenskin and The Nerd.

Once I got the character names, I made a list of all the different words and physical attributes that I associate with each of those names.

I then started create some of the character with some of the attributes that I had come up with. But after a while, I decided upon not making the whole characters but simply the weapons that they would use, this was to make the game have a more personal feel and to leave the imagination of what the characters would look like to the people playing the game. 

I then begun sketching out some basic weapon ideas that I thought that each of the characters would 
most likely use. These basic ideas were designed to be developed further. 



I took the image of the daggers from the above sketch and used a simple pen tool to copy out the design making it very sketch and hand drawn. I thought this design was a bit too amateurish and did not clean and sharp.


I tried a different approach, this time using very straight lines and edges to create a quite modern looking version of a dagger. This design was kind of the direct opposite of the first idea and I felt it was too sharp so I decided to go for little bit more inbetween. 


Using the brush tool in flash (which I used because of they way the brush tool curves the lines) I sketched out this design which I very much enjoyed. It had the sketchy look but also quite clean and nice edges at the same time. 



I used the same technique to create some of the other weapon ideas that I had. I was satisfied with the way they turned out and decided to use that style for my characters.




No comments:

Post a Comment